They say you are what you eat, and when it comes to your skin, whoever THEY are, are right! Below are a few tips for foods to avoid and indulge on for healthier skin.
- Try to stay away from white foods such as white bread, cookies, crackers, cakes, etc.
- Milk is also a no-no as the added hormones will cause your skin to be more oily, which is a big reason people get acne. Instead, have some yogurt. Yogurt actually reduces the growth of acne producing hormones due to fermentation.
- Cut down the drinking. Alcohol is the first thing to cut out of your diet if you are experiencing any skin problem. Just like alcohol in excess dehydrates you, it will also dehydrate your skin.
- If you are known to get flush, or red blotches on your face, it is best you avoid spicy foods.
- Say BYE BYE to sugar!! Sugar, when eaten a lot, attaches to proteins and builds up in your skin. This molecule build up will weaken the elasticity of your skin.
- Don’t eat processed meat (i.e. hot dogs). Ewwww. They have tons of inflammatory omegas that are a big skin no-no. When eating meat, go free-range or organic only.
- Fill up on fiber rich foods such as brown rice, sweet potatoes, oats, lentils, whole grain pasta, etc. White breads make your insulin levels spike, which is known to produce acne. Whole grains and oats keep your insulin levels steady.
- Get colorful with your veggies (carrots, beets, spinach, broccoli). These veggies are great for your skin as they are chock full of the antioxidant beta-carotene, which when eaten, are transformed into Vitamin A. All this goodness helps your skin cells turnover and repair, leaving you with a smooth & fresh face.
- Eat more fish- most notably the oily kinds such as wild salmon, Atlantic mackerel, and sardines. They have tons and tons of Omega 3 fatty acids that fight inflammation of the skin, which in turn slows down the aging process greatly.
- Drink lots and lots of water!! Your skin cells are made up of mostly water, so if you are dehydrated- you will clearly see it in your skin. If you want your skin to glow, simply grab a bottle of water and drink up.